GOBanking Rates Score
How did we calculate this?
- Discounts on Menards purchases
- Additional discounts with partner brands
- Convenient payment plans
- Less competitive than some other offers
- Discounts limit purchases to Menards stores
Menards Credit Card Overview
A good credit card can be very convenient for consumers who pay their balances on time. For anyone considering the Menards credit card, here’s a full breakdown of the unique features and how the card compares to alternatives.
The Menards BIG Card is the company’s credit card offering for everyday shoppers. It has several benefits for customers who regularly visit its stores, including special offers and discounts that can be used for in-store purchases.
It’s important to know all the benefits when choosing a regular spending credit card. Here’s a full breakdown of the Menards BIG Card.
The main advantage of the Menards BIG card is its absence of annual fees. However, credit approval is required by anyone who registers – Menards conducts a smooth investigation, which means applying for the Menards BIG Card will not affect a consumer’s credit score.
There are currently three special discounts available for the Menards BIG Card:
- Six-month plan: If a pre-tax purchase is over $299, no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full at the end of the term.
- 12 month package: If a pre-tax purchase is over $599, no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full at the end of the term.
- 24 month package: If a pre-tax purchase is over $1,500, no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full at the end of the term.
These options are available to anyone with an open Menards account. There is a $40 penalty if an invoice is not paid on time. This fee can be avoided by making one-time payments 25 days before the end of each billing cycle.
The Menards credit card, issued by Capital One, has an APR of 26.49%. This is the interest rate that cardholders will have to pay on top of their purchase if payments are not returned in full and on time.
Consumers with good credit scores will likely be able to find a better APR with another card.
By working with Capital One, the Menards BIG Card offers all the security and functionality you would expect from a credit card. All accounts and credit cards can be viewed in the Capital One app where users can manage their expenses. This allows Menards credit card users to:
- Find unique discounts and coupons where applicable
- Use Capital One’s CreditWise feature to manage and track credit scores
Menards credit cards also make it a point of honor to meet their security standards. Cardholders receive security alerts of suspicious activity and cards can be locked or unlocked with the press of a button.
2% discounts are available on all purchases made with a Menards BIG card when more than $5 is spent. However, this is not available if a buyer is already taking advantage of one of Menards special discount offers above. Nevertheless, it can be ideal for those who make regular purchases in its stores.
Plus, Menards has partnered with top brands which sweeten the deal. These rebates are paid in addition to the Menards offer, so shoppers can save even more. Here are some of the companies that give 1% cash back when they spend gas and other goods:
Similarly, the other participating brands that are sold in-store at Menards benefit from discounts ranging from 1% to 2%. These purchases include regular groceries, cleaning supplies, health and beauty brands, pet care, household items, laundry supplies, and flooring. Well-known brand names include:
- head shoulders
- ancient spice
It is important to note that these discounts are granted in the form of merchandise certificates which can only be redeemed at Menards stores.
How does the Menards credit card stand out?
The Menards credit card stands out for its limited-time offers on big-ticket items. Buyers have the option of making a large purchase and paying it off interest-free for up to 48 months.
Comparable Menards Credit Card Options
Here’s a breakdown of the similarities and differences in Menard’s credit card offering and how it compares to the competition.
Capital One Walmart Mastercard Rewards
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard offers customers 5% cash back on online purchases and 2% cash back on purchases made at Walmart stores and gas stations, as well as for travel and dining . It offers 1% cash back on all other purchases. Menards, comparatively, only offers 2% discounts for Menards purchases and an additional discount from certain brands.
Menards Card Rebates can only be redeemed at Menards stores, while Walmart Rewards Card is accepted anywhere Mastercard is accepted.
Target red card
The Menards BIG Card and Target’s RedCard have no annual fee. The Target RedCard offers customers 5% cash back on all Target purchases, which is greater than the discounts available with the BIG Card.
The Target RedCard also offers free two-day shipping on items – a perk not seen with the BIG Card.
How to register
The process of signing up for a Menards credit card is relatively simple. New customers can follow the steps below.
- Visit the Ménards website.
- Click or tap the “Credit Center” drop-down menu, which is located at the top right.
- Select “BIG Card Request”.
You will then be redirected to the Capital One website. From there, the following details will be required:
- Name, date of birth and tax identification number
- Home address and contact details
- Employment status, salary, mortgage or rent costs, and bank account usage
Once completed, the terms and conditions are available at the bottom to read and agree to complete the process.
Who is the Menards credit card for?
Menards credit cards are suitable for regular customers of its stores. Additional discounts from partner brands, combined with its own 2% offer, are competitive with similar credit cards. As a result, loyal Menards customers have the opportunity to save more money, more often.
However, customers who don’t shop at Menards often might not find the discounts competitive enough, especially in light of the relatively high APR.
For instant access to credit for a major purchase, Menards is a great interest-free solution with its current offers. However, if considering a credit card for living expenses, applicants should weigh other options before making their final choice.
FAQsHere are some questions people ask about the Menards credit card.
- What credit score do you need for a Menards card?
- Neither Menards nor Capital One provides an exact credit score needed to qualify for the Menards BIG Card. Credit history and financial situation will be considered when applying. New customers can request pre-approval to see if they qualify, and it won’t affect their credit score.
- Is Menards a Capital One card?
- Yes. Menards partners with Capital One to offer a range of credit cards, including the Menards BIG Card.
- How long does it take to get approved for a Menards credit card?
- Capital One, the issuer of Menards credit cards, aims to make decisions in “60 seconds or less”. But approval can take seven to ten business days in certain circumstances.
- Can I use my Menards card at Walmart?
- No. Walmart does not accept Menards credit cards. Both brands have their own credit card offer to entice customers to purchase. Walmart has its own Capital One credit card which competes with the BIG Card.
Information is accurate as of August 31, 2022 and is subject to change.
Editorial note: This content is not provided by any entity covered by this article. Any opinions, analyses, criticisms, evaluations, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.